The hiking rain jackets not only warm the hikers, but also the specific waterproof layers protect a hiker from being wet by the rain. To be closed with the smooth air, breathtaking views and to strengthen the muscles and improve the cardiovascular health, the hiking can contribute a lot. But, the unpredictable rains can soak you when you have still remained a few miles to go. So, is it possible to stop striking the poles into the trails for the rains and getting a big negative hit to your health by hypothermia for cold weather?. Basically, any hiker would never wish to fall in such trouble moments.
So, whenever you make a checklist for hiking, you should plan to carry a rain jacket to prevent the rain and hypothermia. The rain jackets would slide out the water drops to the ground and keep the body as dry as you need to prevent hypothermia. Mostly the rain jackets use soft and thin layers (especially the softshell jackets) for breathability as if the moisture of your body can’t soak you for raising the unnecessary temperature at the contact point. So you can keep the jacket worn on your body in the rainy warmed temperature.
- 1 10 Best Rain Jackets Of Hiking For Men & Women
- 2 Buying Guide For Choosing A Hiking Rain Jacket
10 Best Rain Jackets Of Hiking For Men & Women
So whenever the sky pours the water on your body, no chance of keeping the rain jacket stored in the backpack if you want to continue to overcome the paths you’d have to go. That’s why, we have compiled a list with the best rain jackets of hiking for men and women.
|Hiking Rain Jackets||Type||PitZips (Ventilation Under The Arms)||Layers||Our Ratings|
Givbro Waterproof Jacket For Men
Marmot Minimalist Men's Rain Jacket
Outdoor Research Men's Foray Jacket
Patagonia Torrentshell Men’s Jacket
Marmot PreCip Women's Waterproof Rain Jacket
Outdoor Research Women's Helium II Jacket
Arc'teryx Zeta Lt Men’s Jacket
1)Givbro Waterproof Jacket For Men
Whenever you are concerned for both rain and hypothermia, the Givbro Waterproof Jacket would save you from both possibilities. The Givbro Waterproof Rain Jacket would perfectly work on both needed protections like when you expect the safeness from rain and cool temperature. The outer layer provides an excellent water protection while the seams are taped to prevent the entrance of water through sipping. Such locked seams also prevent the winds from striking into the warmness. The Givbro actually emphasized the protection from the coldness and rains. So, on the outer shell they used a coat to prevent the winds and rains while the inside is covered by soft micro fleece to keep the interior warm.
The micro fleece also reduces the heats for breathability while it is great for skin protection. The hood also ensures that the rain drops over your head easily slides down to the ground while the cuff also can seal the possible tiny holes in the zipper rails to prevent the water and wind from joining into the warmness. In the warm weather if you think the hood is unnecessary, you can remove the hood of the jacket. It can also save your mobile phone and GPS from the water by the zippered front pockets and obviously the small weight of the jacket won’t be your problem for each use. Moreover, the jacket won’t only warm and save you from the rains, but also the soft shell craftsmanship perfects the hike in winter, summer, spring and autumn.
- An all rounder jacket to be used in winter, spring, summer and autumn. Because the soft shell layers make it variable for multiple weather conditions.
- Specific coat to quickly slide out the water from the outer layers and the seams are taped to block the rains and water from joining into the warmness.
- Soft fleece coats warms you when the weather seems cool while such coats reduce the heat for the breathable interior
- Hood and cuff ensure the highest protection from the rain while the cuff eliminates the air from making coldness. The hood is also detachable to be detached and adjusted.
2)Marmot Minimalist Men’s Rain Jacket
The Marmot Minimalist Men’s Rain Jacket isn’t impressively budget friendly, but to overcome the challenged hiking time with preventing the unpredictable rains, the Marmot Minimalist can be dependable for you. Because, protecting the body from rain and hypothermia isn’t enough, also ensuring the protection from sweats and uncomfortability is a challenge. So, this rain jacket works to prevent both by multiple types internal and outer layers while the outer layer eliminates the effect of the flows of air, snow and rains and the internal layer establishes the warmness by retaining the modest temperature level. Although, some reviewers and users suggested like the membrane in internal part should have more breathtaking ability as it would sometime tend to sweat a user if the temperature is very warm.
But, the PitZips was praised for increasing the airflows and bringing the comfortability and warmness you would like to have in the jacket. On the other hand, the praising performance of saving you from the rain by the Goretex and Pactlite increase the dependability of the jacket. Moreover, to block the small leakages of the seams and ultimately let the water slide down over the seams without getting entered into the jacket, they tapped these possible water sipping points. The hood also enhanced the coverage to slide down the rains with 100 percent betterment and you can perfect your other outdoor activities if you want to do something out of hiking with this jacket.
- The seams won’t allow the water to hit into the warmness, because the seams are taped. So the water would get away to slide down and shed to the ground.
- PitZips regulates the temperature and maximizes better air flows. So, on your summer backpacking trip, the jacket won’t block the temperature more than your needs to keep the interior comfortable.
- For the high end waterproofing, breath-ability and easy pack-ability the jacket is crafted with Gore-Tex and Paclite technology. Such a praiseworthy craftsmanship for backpackers or hikers can make them win in their adventuring hiking trip.
- The hood with drawstring hem ultimately covers the body for the protection from rain while it perfects the fit.
3)Outdoor Research Men’s Foray Jacket
Who concerns about the airflow and feels discomfortable to wear the rain jackets in the spring and summer for the effect of internal temperature, the Outdoor Research Foray with TorsoFlo technology can wipe the concerns from your mind. Because, the TorsoFlo venting system can unzip the jacket on both sides from bottom part to hem, so the excess temperature and moisture can come out from the internal parts. The incredible thing you would feel, aside the superb airflows by the unzipped sides you can still get the full coverage from the rain. Because, the unzipped sides still can cover the waist and bicep for shielding your body from the rain.
This is an all weather jacket and this softshell jacket with Gore Tex fabric can reduce the weight and extend the pack-ability. But, to be a complete waterproof jacket, the Gore Tex fabric resists the water without the tend of absorbing the drops and the Gore Tex is also an independent breathable fabric without any vents. Because, the fabric can cool down the excess temperature by evaporating it from the human body. The adjustable hood is like it is extended to ensure more facial coverage while the toggles can work for a snug fit. Moreover, it is compressible and impressively it can be stuffed in its own pocket by the decent pack-ability of it.
Check Here: Men’s Version
- TorsoFlo venting to immediately unzip the jacket from hem to bicep on both sides. So you can conquer the excess temperature and the airflows can get the inside without struggling. When the jacket is unzipped from both sides, it can shield the backpackers from the rain unless the air flows at a high rate.
- The Gore Tex fabric has been praised for being a great waterproof fabric that doesn’t glue the water drops and reliably aids the moisture to escape from the body.
- The hood ensures the decent coverage for the head and face while the toggles aid for getting a snug fit.
- Compressible and it stuffs into its own pocket while it shapes into a decent size after being compressed.
4)Patagonia Torrentshell Men’s Jacket
The Patagonia Torrentshell can be as expert like the Outdoor Research Men’s Foray to provide the coverage by being waterproof and windproof. The outer shell would essentially work to withstand the power of the storm or winds and the same shell also doesn’t glue the water to transmit into the internal membrane. So, basically the warmness between your body and internal membrane of the jacket won’t be damp for the poured water over your body. Even the center zipper is covered by a flap to prevent the water from the whole jacket and this flap ensures the water is no longer to sip through those small holes. Moreover, aside the primary flap for the protection from wind and rain, the secondary flap also protects your body from the wind as an enhanced protection.
For an extended water protection the hood can be remarkably fit around your head and face by the pull cords and toggles to tighten or loosen the adjustment. When you look for better ways to save yourself from the overheat the Patagonia Torrentshell offers almost similar options like Outdoor Research Foray. Because, on the hem it has been zippered to drain out the temperature when you feel clammy. If you open out those ventilations, the moistures would start leaving the inside of the jacket and this venting system like TorsoFlo easily cools down the inside. The Patagonia Torrentshell also has nicely zippered side pockets that stay frank to adapt with your hands for extra warmth and the left hand pockets can accommodate this whole compressible jacket.
- The outer shell of the jacket would encourage any hiker to be unstoppable either in the heavy wind or rain. Because the wind, and poured water can’t beat its outer shell to make the inside damp or uncomfortable.
- Flaps over the center zipper can ultimately block the path for the rains as if the rain can’t reach in the inside by sipping.
- Zippered hem can be unzipped to work like TorsoFlo ventilation system. It forces the moistures to stay out inside of the jacket.
- The jacket is compressible and won’t consume the space like a sleeping bag. The whole jacket can be stowed into its own left hand pocket.
5)Marmot PreCip Women’s Waterproof Rain Jacket
The Marmot Women’s PreCip is a lightweight and almost an all weather jacket for women. Because of the softshell layer, breathable fabric and renowned ventilation system, the jacket would be your favorite part in all required things for backpacking. Considering its multiple effective sites, the jacket would be likely more proficient in protecting you from winds, snowfalls and poured water than being the reason for making your body clammy. Because, the NanoPro fabric is consisted to shed the water without the intention of soaking while the fabric emphasizes on making the temperature modest. Moreover, the specific durable water resistant coat encourages the water to shed more faster and prevent the layers from soaking the drops.
The taped seams and extended flap on the center zip lengthened the coverage to seal the center zip and the Velcro straps and Tab secured the flap a little bit from flattering, but the secondary flap strengthens the protection from the sipped water. Moreover, you would also feel blessed for the extended width of the collar and the Velcro strap also can clamp it for the protection of the neck. The hood it includes is also slightly different and attached with the jacket, but it ensures the adeptness by its cords for adjustability. Considering the condition the hood can be Incredibly rolled up and used as a collar of the jacket.
- If you are fearing to be clammy or uncomfortable for the less ability of attracting the air of your jacket, the Marmot PreCip can beat that poor side of an ordinary rain jacket. Because, the Pit Zip provides the option to easily cool down the inside by being unzipped a large area on the hem.
- The pockets on both sides can unblock the bothered temperature as the pockets are built over mesh fabric.
- The collar is extended for covering the neck, but incredibly the attached hood can be collapsed as collar and also able to be collapsed up for covering the head and forehead with the toggles and cords.
- Nano Pro and laminated fabric that doesn’t absorb the water, but resists them properly to be dropped on the ground.
6)Outdoor Research Women’s Helium II Jacket
The Helium II from outdoor research is praised to us for the weight it offers with the competent supports it provides during rain. The compressible Helium II with less than 7 ounces weight can be stowed into its own specific pocket. You can double the usability of the same pocket when you need to secure and stow your other things. After compressing you can put the small sack in your backpack and when you need to conquer the rain, just open it up to confirm that you are continuing to enjoy a different enchanting form of the nature. When it is doubtful how competent it is to protect the warmness without any effect of poured water, the specific water resistant coat with Pertex Shield plus fabric ensures the water would be incompetent to even make a sweaty entrance. On the other hand, the Pertex fabric is reputed for high wind resistance & breath ability and obviously this feature might aid you to bravely keep striking the poles on the windy weather.
Although the jacket isn’t incorporated with meshes and enough ventilations, but the soft and simple thickness aid to make it breathable and basically wearing it in a slightly cool and warm weather wouldn’t make you clammy. The hood design of it is slightly exceptional than other jackets and a pulling cord onto the back of the hood can perfect the adjustment and you would like this excellent fit. Moreover, the chest pocket with zipper brings the ease and security for your cellphone when the rain pours over you.
- Easily compressible and the soft shell layers make it simply backpackable while less than 7 ounce weight won’t give you the feel like you have worn a jacket, but the protection of saving you from the unpredictable poured water is enough.
- Although the ventilation isn’t superior, but the soft and simple thickened layers are breathable.
- The Pertex Shield Fabric with water resistant coat shields the hikers from wind and the coat blocks the entrance of the water into the jacket.
- Compressible and storable in its own pocket without being improper in shape.
- The hood design is perfect, easy manageable and adjustable by the pulling cord in the rear.
7)Arc’teryx Zeta Lt Men’s Jacket
The Arc’teryx Zeta Lt is obviously supportable to the backpacker even in the crucial conditions when it is uncertain on stepping through the strikes of huge rains and winds. We went through the test reports and feedbacks of the outdoorgearlab.com, switchbacktravel.com and plenty of feedback from the users of Arc’teryx Zeta Lt. Depending on its performance of the poorest conditions like heavy rains and stormy winds, the Arc’teryx Zeta Lt can encourage you to be unstoppable on the way to overcome the remained trails. Although the price costs something like out of the budget of lightweight backpackers. But, the serious backpackers can stow it in their backpack to expect the best support when the rains unpredictably strike to slow down on the hiking trail. Because, the ergonomic hood and extended coverage protect the body to eliminate the contact with the rains.
Although the jacket hasn’t used any part of the mesh fabric or Pit Zips under the arms like some of our selections. But, the Gore-tex fabric with C-Knit technology won’t only create the smooth and warmed feel for the backpackers, but also the extensive ability of resisting the winds and water can make you brave on the backpacking days in the unpredictable conditions. To support perfectly the Gore-tex with C-Knit technology holds the interior of the jacket breathable as the temperature out of your body’s necessity can’t sweat you. Moreover, as a hardshell jacket the weight of the Arc’teryx Zeta Lt under 11 ounces won’t overload the weight of your backpack.
- One of the great rain jackets that is relatively better to withstand the strikes of the rain and the unexpected effect of the winds as if the backpacker can bravely continue to hike without falling under the negative impact of unpredictable weather.
- With the 40 denier nylon and C-knit technology the jacket hasn’t only achieved the durability, but also the sealed seams, waterproof and windproof fabric entirely prevents the water and wind as if their effect isn’t being problematic for backpacking.
- It fits anatomically and not very wobble! So, it can double the comfortability while the fabric creates the interior comfortable for backpackers.
- Lightweight and easily packable.
Buying Guide For Choosing A Hiking Rain Jacket
Particularly for hiking the lightweight and backpackable rain jackets with softer shell are popular in nowadays as the laminated and coated outer shell with specific technology to resist the wind and rains drag these jackets up on the popular choice of hiking rain jackets. Moreover, the softshell warms the interior remarkably if the weather is cool and such a layer also brings up the breathability if the weather is hot. So, at first get the ideas on how the shells differ the performance of a rain jacket.
Hardshell Jacket: The backpackers who want his/her activities in the heavy poured rain and winds, the hardshell jacket can fearlessly support those enthusiast backpackers to hold them on the track in the unexpected poorest conditions like heavy snow, heavy rain and of course heavy winds. But their expensive cost and bulkier weight sometimes discourage the lightweight backpackers while the ventilation sometimes isn’t as perfect as the softshell jackets offer. Although they can warm a backpacker when the temperature downs, but also can sweat the users when the temperature rises.
Softshell Jacket: If your purpose isn’t backpacking in the high alpine mountains, the softshell layer jackets are the right rain jackets for you. The softshell rain jackets have the maximum breathability to even protect you in the rainy warm weather. If the rain is a concern for your hiking trip, you can keep these easy backpackable jacket with other gears. These jackets have insulation layer and Durable Water Resistant coat for blunting the flow of the winds and forcing the rains to slide to the ground. You can wear these rain jackets in all seasons of the year for the breathable layers.
A rain jacket doesn’t only put the raindrops out of your body, but also it can be used to erase the impact of wind flows and in some cases the rain jacket should also warm you if the weather is cold. That’s why the number of layers would be decreased and increased to impact the usability and power of the rain jacket. Basically, out of the major outer layer the secondary layers in a jacket can be added for insulation and erasing the overheat. So, here we have detailed about the typical number of the layers in a jacket.
2 Layers: With the outer waterproof layer, a single inner layer is just added to protect the coat of outer layer. For a limited use in the urban area these jackets would be fine, but they are bulky and the insufficient ventilation could be problematic if you put it on your body for several hours. Although, they are cheap and for minimal use during touring or travelling these jackets can be fair.
2.5 Layers: The 2.5 layer softshell jackets are the great choice of hikers and basically the 2.5 layer jackets use a soft coat over the mid supportive layer. Mostly, the polyurethane laminate can be used as the secondary layer while a smooth or slippery coat can be glued on the secondary layer. The 2.5 layer jackets are popular for outdoor use while they are compressible, backpackable, lightweight and soft.
3 Layers: The three layer hardshell jackets use three different layers in a row for protecting you from the cold winter, snow and of course rain. The three layer jackets are a popular choice for poorest backcountry and withstanding the poor weather condition. Instead the polyurethane laminate they use a specific mid layer and liner for better breathability and warmness. Although, the three layer jackets mostly tend to be bulkier.
The PitZips is the tricky addition to most of the softshell jackets. If the overheating in the jacket is a concern, the PitZips can bring out the heats that bother you and sweat you. The PitZips like a window under your arms, you would just have to unzip this window when you feel the heat is bothering you and sweating you. Moreover, in the warm weather if you keep the PitZips unzipped the excess heat and moisture would be brought out to keep you cool. Although, the hardshell jackets wouldn’t mostly have the PitZips, but they have a specific membrane considering to increase the breathability.
This is why you wear the rain jackets and having perfection to resist the water is a must. Otherwise the jacket would act like a useless cloth wear in the rain. Mostly, the outer layer can be reinforced with the laminate or coat and afterwards the laminate fabric marks as a Gore-Tex fabric for waterproofing. Although the laminate Gore-Tex fabric proofs the water in a better mood, then the PU coat jackets and the laminating jackets cost higher than PU jackets. For better water proofing the flaps over the zips and sealed seams also would some greater ability. Moreover, the adjustability, proper hood adjustment can extend the ability to resist more water.
The packability shouldn’t be concerned for your rain jacket. Because, in the unpredictable nature you would have to anytime wear the jackets and if it is not easily compressible and storable in your backpack, it can bother you. So, you should ensure you can literally pack it in the backpack in a little space and it is compressible and able to be folded like a cloth wear.